Friday, April 17, 2015

2015 Poem-a-Day April 16 (science prompt) and April 17 (swing prompt)

Theory

I was born in a mind.
Surrounded by the world
And intrinsically part of it,
I was nurtured to health.
Also, I was poked,
I was prodded,
I was horribly, horribly abused,
And all for the best.
I could live or I could die
And I would be loved regardless.



________________________________________



All Lives Matter


The jukebox is apparently repeating.
Why is this fruit still swinging?
All I hear is Billie Holiday
singing about the southern breeze.
The blood at the root
seems to have sunk
into the fabric of this ground,
deeper than can be razed.
The ropes have been replaced
but the ignorance remains
along with the insipid hatred
which finds its targets with bullet accuracy.

The year doesn't change.
And magnolias still make me sick.


No comments:

Post a Comment