- Today is February 23, 2010.
- There are 305 more shopping days until Christmas.
- Conspiracy of the day: On this day in 1896, the Tootsie Roll is invented. Exactly 101 years later, in 1997, scientists cloned a sheep, naming the lamb "Dolly." Rumors of the sheep eating Tootsie Rolls could not be confirmed. Coincidence or conspiracy???
- On February 23, 1954, Dr. Jonas Salk began kicking the ass of polio with the first mass inoculation of children with his vaccine.
- On February 23, 1945, the United States takes Iwo Jima and raises the flag.
- On February 23, 1861, Texas secedes from the Union! (Unfortunately, it was returned to the Union later when the local sanitation department wouldn't haul it away.)
- It is the birthdate of W.E.B. DuBois.
- In ancient Rome, landowners celebrated a festival known as Terminalia on this day. While Terminalia was a festival honoring the god Terminus (the god who protected boundary markers... really? They needed a god for that?), there is a belief that it was a festival revolving around Sarah Connor. Arnold Schwarzenegger allegedly would time travel to take part in the festivities.
- And finally, in 2010, a pickle recorded more Facebook friends than the band Nickelback.